Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How To Be Alone

I have been spending a lot of time alone these days, as I am unemployed and most people in my life have things that keep them occupied during the day like work, school, baking, baby sitting...  and so I have to say that I was touched when I found this video on one of my friend's blogs.





When you're unemployed, it's easy to waste an entire day watching TV or surfing the Internet. No one is around to make you get up, or make you feel bad for sitting on your butt. But it's really only when I waste away my day that I actually feel alone, because when I spend my time productively - exercising, going for walks, writing in my journal, reading books, studying Chinese, or working on obtaining employment - I'm not really alone. I'm spending time with my best friend in the whole world: myself.


Really, I'd like to think that I'm a pretty cool person to hang out with. What a lucky schmuck I am to be stuck spending my days all alone with myself. And although it can be infinitely frustrating to be unemployed, I am trying really hard to value this time and be productive, because once I do find work, it will (hopefully) be a long time until I once again have all this time to just hang out with myself.

2 comments: