Friday, March 5, 2010

There are some sights Nick and I have come to realize are quintessentially Cambodian. Regardless of where you are in this country, you will no doubt see minivans packed to the brim with people, men lazing about in hammocks, and small children running around with no pants. Coconuts and fruit shakes abound and a smile can be found on almost everyone's faces.

But by far, the most ubiquitous sight here in Cambodia is trash.
trash in the market - where I bought my new "Gucci" sunglasses


One of the first things that struck me when I came into the country - and something that has remained with me througout this entire time, is the fact that trash is everywhere. It’s along the roadside, in the road, in people’s front yards, in the markets, in the zoos, in the national parks… it really is almost everywhere.
pile of trash in the zoo
trash at Bokor National Park

I’ve only been here for a couple of weeks, so I must admit that don’t know too much about the everyday life of the average Cambodian. However, I can only assume that the omnipresence of trash must be an indication of that there is a severe shortage of public services that are available to the average Cambodian. If anything, it certainly serves as a constant reminder that we are visiting a third world country.  
trash in someone’s front yard - with a fire burning in the back

No comments:

Post a Comment