Sunday, June 14, 2009

MMMMM Pearl Milk Tea MMMMMM

My absolute favorite Taiwanese culinary creation is 珍珠奶茶 (zhēnzhū nǎichá) or pearl milk tea (also called bubble tea). I had had bubble tea before I came to Taiwan, but I never knew that it was actually a Taiwanese drink until I arrived here on the island.

The creation of this drink (which is popular world-wide) is something that the Taiwanese are very proud of - and rightfully so!

Pearl milk tea is a sweet and refreshing drink consisting of tea, usually black tea, with milk and sugar and chewy tapioca balls, mmmmmmmmmmmm yummy! It might not sound like anything too special but it is definitely a unique and delightful treat. (something which I will truly miss when I move back to the states)



One of the fun little quirks of tea houses here in Taiwan are these machines:


These are in basically every single tea house on the island and they are used to seal plastic lids to to-go cups. Then you just poke a straw through the top and you have the perfect spill-proof drink!


I am convinced that the wide-spread use of these lids came about because people needed a way to carry a drink around while driving their scooters... brilliant!






1 comment:

  1. i hadd the green tea green apple flavor in joy bubble tea in Edison New Jersey it was the greatest thing i ever had and the tapoica iit whas qreat !

    ReplyDelete